Poila Baisakh, the Bengali New Year, is a time of utter joy and celebration for Bengalis all around the world. Bengali cuisine is known for its rich flavours and unique cooking techniques, and rice bran oil is a popular cooking oil used in Bengali kitchens. Here are a few Bengali recipes cooked with the best oil for frying that you can try out this Bengali New Year of 2023.
5 best poila baisakh recipes to prepare with the best oil for frying
1. Shorshe Maach or Mustard Fish Curry:
This popular Bengali fish curry is cooked with mustard paste and is a staple in most Bengali households. To make this dish, heat some rice bran oil in a pan and add some sliced onions, ginger, and garlic. Once the onions are translucent, add some mustard paste, salt, turmeric powder, and water. Bring the mixture to a boil and add pieces of fish (such as Rohu or Hilsa) to the pan. Cook until the fish is tender and the gravy has thickened.
2. Cholar Dal or Bengali Gram Lentil:
This classic Bengali dal is made with Bengal gram lentils and is a popular dish during Poila Baisakh. To make this dish, heat some Jeevan Rekha oil in a pan and add some whole spices like cumin seeds, bay leaves, and cinnamon. Add chopped onions, ginger, and garlic to the pan and sauté until the onions are golden brown. Add the lentils, salt, turmeric powder, and water to the pan and let it cook until the lentils are tender. Garnish with some fried coconut and serve hot with rice.
3. Shukto Mixed Vegetables in Bengali Spices:
Shukto is a Bengali mixed vegetable dish that is known for its unique blend of flavours. To make this dish, heat some rice bran oil in a pan and add some bitter gourd, potato, pumpkin, and plantain. Sauté the vegetables until they are cooked and add a paste made of poppy seeds, mustard seeds, and green chillies. Add some milk to the pan and let it simmer for a few minutes. Serve hot with rice.
4. Chingri Malai Curry:
A conversation about traditional Bengali cuisine can never be complete without Chingri-Malai Curry! ‘Chingri’ means prawn and ‘Malai’ means cream, but it’s the coconut milk in this recipe, that gives it the creaminess and smooth texture. So, if you love seafood and are in the mood to have something delicious, this is the recipe you need. An iconic dish from the Bengali cookbook, Chingri Malai Curry is as authentic as it gets. In this one, river scampi is cooked with mild spices and coconut milk for a rich, flavourful curry. Tastes best with rice.
5. Kosha Mangsho:
A quintessential Bengali mutton preparation, Kosha Mangsho involves slow cooking of goat meat in a variety of spices over low flame. The flavour of mustard oil permeates through the dish which has a thick dark brown gravy and melt-in-the-mouth mutton pieces.
These are just a few Bengali recipes that you can try out this Poila Baisakh using Rice bran oil which is a healthy cooking oil that is low in saturated fat and high in antioxidants, making it an ideal choice for cooking traditional Bengali dishes.
Why Must You Opt for Jeevan Rekha Rice Bran Oil?
Jeevan Rekha Rice bran oil is a popular cooking oil that is extracted from the outer layer of rice grains. Here are some potential health benefits associated with the consumption of rice bran oil:
- Heart health: Rice bran oil contains high levels of monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats, which have been shown to lower LDL (bad) cholesterol levels and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Antioxidant properties: Rice bran best oil for frying contains a variety of antioxidants, including tocopherols, tocotrienols, and gamma-oryzanol, which can help to protect the body against damage from free radicals and reduce the risk of chronic diseases.
- Skin health: Rice bran cooking oil is rich in vitamin E and other antioxidants that can help to improve skin health and reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Weight loss: Rice bran cooking oil is low in saturated fat and high in healthy fats, which can help to promote weight loss and reduce the risk of obesity.
- Digestive health: Rice bran cooking oil contains gamma-oryzanol, which has been shown to help regulate digestive function and reduce the risk of digestive disorders such as the irritable upset stomach.
Therefore, you see what’s a New Year celebration without a feast? And if it’s Bengali New Year, it’s got to be nothing short of a grand one. Usher in Poila Baisakh with some decadent recipes that are rich in flavour, history, and culture. If you are planning to step out for lunch or dinner then check out these popular diners in the city which have painstakingly whipped up special menus to indulge your senses with Jeevan Rekha Rice Bran Oil.
It is important to note that while rice bran which is the best oil for frying does offer potential health benefits, it is still high in calories and should be consumed in moderation as part of a balanced diet.